By Jeanette Frost
There are many beauty products on the market that seem perfect for hot beach days, but how many of them actually have nourishing benefits? Here is a list of Beach-Worthy Beauty finds that keeps skin and nails healthy and glamorous.
1. Flawless Finish Perfectly Nude Makeup with Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 15, by Elizabeth Arden: A lightweight, breathable foundation that moisturizes skin for 24 hours. Soy Lipid Technology diminishes the appearance of pores and imperfections, while Carob Tree and Wild Mushroom Extracts hydrate skin and lock in moisture. Vitamins C & E protect skin from free radical damage that cause signs of aging. This foundation leaves skin luminous and hydrated without a heavy makeup feel. $38.50 elizabetharden.com
2. Sunbutter Organic Sunscreen by Dirty Girl Farm: Para-aminobenzoic acid (also known as Vitamin Bx) is a part of the vitamin B complex that is required by many organisms for the formation of folic acids and is widely used in sunscreens to absorb ultraviolet light. The combo of Vitamin Bx along with Zinc Oxide gives this Sunbutter the highest sun screen level you can achieve without chemicals, which is SPF 8. Sunbutter is also packed with the healing benefits of aloe juice, coconut oil, jojoba, grapeseed, neem, avocado oils, vitamin E, shea and mango butters. Unlike most all-natural sunscreens, it’s not oily, not heavy and doesn’t leave white residue. Leaves skin hydrated, soft and protected. 2 bottles (2 oz. each) for $10! dirtygirlfarm.com
3. Organic Lavender Lotion by Dirty Girl Farm: Do you get the impression I love this company? Dirty Girl Farm is certainly one of my favorite local go-to places for skincare. This lotion is super soothing and smells amazing! The finest golden jojoba, lavender distillate and lavender essential oil make this lotion ideal for sensitive skin it can even be used on babies. Safe to use all over body and great for after sun care. Note: for those who are not crazy about lavender, Dirty Girl makes an Organic Aloe, which is also wonderful. $14.95 dirtygirlfarm.com
4. Sunforgettable SPF 35 Lip Shine by Colorescience: Gives lips a touch of color and broad spectrum UVA/UVB sun protection. Ingredients include Peptide Palmitoyl Oligopeptide (a collagen production stimulator that hydrates and plumps lips), vitamin E (for healing antioxidant action), spearmint essential oil (freshens breath and hydrates) and zinc oxide (natural sun protection). Available in 7 pretty shades. Pink and Champagne are excellent beach choices.
5. “Route 66” Nail Polish by Marilyn Monroe Spas: Marilyn Monroe Spas has an array of nail polish colors to choose from that are Formaldehyde Free, Toluene Free, Phthalate (DBP) Free, meeting the standards of PETA, Cruelty Free & Vegan. My pick for Summer is Route 66 because it’s unusual, yet goes with any outfit. It’s an iridescent purple-bronze shade, like an oil slick, and shows different hues depending on how the light hits. $6.50 marilynmonroespas.com
Pro Tip: When out under the sun, don’t count on your makeup to protect you all day. No matter what kind of sunscreen you choose, you must reapply often, even if you opt for products with SPF 30 or higher. The products I recommended layer and blend together nicely, because of their lightweight texture. Don’t forget to reapply that Lip Shine!
Visit pro makeup artist Jeanette Frost at jeanettefrost.com