By Jeanette Frost
Through winter our bodies take a beating. Freezing temps and wind sucks moisture out of skin, also causing painful muscle tension. Booking a spa day seemed like the right call for my mother and I, so we booked spa services at Deyo Studio for Face and Body, Birmingham.
As a makeup and brow extraordinaire, Barbara Deyo (owner) has a fabulous reputation so I could only imagine the rest of Deyo services being on par.
Massage Therapist Nicolena Inniss-Stubbs is a real treat. Clients select from a variety of Swedish, Therapeutic and Deep Tissue Massages. As a complimentary service, Nicolena incorporates aromatherapy essential oils into each massage. My massage began with inhalations of Stress Relief Oil by Source Vital (a relaxing blend of Spanish Marjoram, lavender, pine needle, basil, jojoba, safflower, and Apricot Kernel Oils), followed by a 90 minute fusion of a Swedish and Deep tissue massage. A true healer, Nicolena addressed every trouble spot and then some. Those who require firm pressure, like me, will find relief in Nicolena’s pressure point knowledge and strength. The gentle sort, who prefers lighter pressure, need not worry; Nicolena tailors every massage to each individual’s needs. Tension vanished for the entire month after my appointment.
Next, I met with esthetician Karen Edwards for a Custom Organic Facial. Karen starts every facial with Stress Relief Oil. After studying my skin under a lamp for a few minutes, Karen chose products best suited to my needs. She used products from Source Vital, which are 100% holistic, organic, with a divine aroma. With each product application I encountered a new aromatic experience. Each treatment includes deep cleansing, exfoliation, steam, light extractions, gentle massage and a specialty mask for your skin type. What makes Karen’s facials so exceptional is her genuine care and extra attention to detail including a multitude of hot aromatherapy towels used on the face, shoulders, and feet, which softens skin and expands relaxation. While the mask set on my face, Karen continued with a foot, leg, hand and arm massage. My skin felt instantly soft and appeared radiant and younger looking.
After my massage and facial, I was in a blissful state. I floated my way next to my mother for Barbara to work her makeup magic on the both of us. Mom had Barbara apply CryBaby Mascara, which gives the effect of a lengthening and thickening and lasts 2-3 weeks. Plus, it’s water, flake and smudge proof. This was the perfect solution for my mom, who contemplated lash extensions but didn’t want the commitment. For those that want longer lasting lash help, Barbara recommends lash extensions (a very popular service at Deyo Studio). My mom prefers a more natural approach, while I prefer to go full glam. Barbara gave us both perfect brows and applied our makeup beautifully. Our luxurious spa day left us feeling gorgeous and ready to hit the town for our “girls night out”.
Deyo for Face and Body | 576 N. Old Woodward Ave. Birmingham | 248.203.1222 deyostudio.com
HIGH TECH SKIN CARE
The New Year also breeds advancements in the science of beauty. Reverse the harsh damage of winter with high tech anti aging skin care products:
- Mito Q – A lightweight anti-aging face cream containing mitoquinol (a breakthrough molecule) is proven to be 1,000 times stronger than other CoQ antioxidant based anti-aging products! Mito Q neutralizes free radicals where they are produced and stops the skin again process, while healing prior damage. $185 MitoQ.com
- 24K Nano Hydra Silk Mask – This nourishing leave-on face mask is infused with flecks of 24K gold and an exclusive blend (Sodium Hyaluronate, Caprylyl Methicone, PEG-12 Dimethicone/PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Vitamin E, and Acai Fruit Extract) that leaves skin exceptionally hydrated, silky and radiant. $1,500 Orogoldcosmetics.com
- M. Collin Phyto Stem Cell + Eye Contour Cream – An advanced anti-aging eye cream that moisturizes, soothes, improves firmness, and reduces dark circles, puffiness, wrinkles and fine lines. Plant stem cells, Renovage, Orsirtine, Argireline, Myoxinol, Haloxyl, Eyeliss and Matrixyl gives increased skin cell longevity and formation along with a DNA repair. $90 GMCollin.com
- M Collin Vital C 10% + Peptides Serum – A vaccine-like formula that combines powerful antioxidants and anti-aging ingredients (10% Vitamin C, Globularia Cordifolia Callus Culture Extract, Artemia Extract, Peptide Q10) that immunize skin against time, protects against environmental damage and reduce the visible signs of premature aging. This unique serum promotes cell detoxification, cell lifespan extension and cell regeneration. $84.00 at GMCollin.com and spas nationwide.
- Resveratrol Men’s Renewal Serum by Vine Vera – Packed with vitamins A, C and E along with Resveratrol (a powerful antioxidant found in red wine and grapes that promotes anti-aging) this serum hydrates, softens and makes skin appear younger, all while protecting against razor burn. Apply to skin prior to shaving. $196 VineVera.com